From Brazil to Belgium to Bahrain, St. Edward’s is home to students from more than 50 countries as well as from all over the United States. We take pride in our international community of critical thinkers, innovators and problem solvers. Here, we’re passionate about improving the world.

Wondering what’s it like to learn and live fully on the hilltop, in the world-class city of Austin, Texas? Our international students can give you the scoop. See what these students like most about their St. Edward’s experience and why they’re happy to be Hilltoppers.

Nico Marin smiles for photo

Nicolas Marin ’23

“I feel part of a caring community.”

Major: Business Administration
Home Country: Chile

My favorite place to be on campus. In front of Main Building. I love the view of the Austin skyline, and I like to go there to relax.

Things I love to do in Austin. Going to the park with friends, eating at new restaurants, and going to concerts.

How St. Edward's makes me feel at home. Through my experience living on campus and the involvement opportunities, such as the Campus Ministry retreats! The retreats are a space where I have felt comfortable, have been able to reflect about life, and have been able to listen to other people and their stories. All of these things make me feel part of a caring community.

What I like most about St. Edward’s. The people. I’ve met some really good friends and other people in general. Faculty and staff are also very helpful and supportive with any issues or uncertainties you might have.

One of my favorite activities at St. Edward’s. It’s a toss-up between the Campus Ministry retreats and the on-campus job experiences I’ve had. For the first one, participating in those retreats has been fun, and I’ve met a lot of people that way. And the on-campus job experiences I’ve had are an “involvement” opportunity that you can’t find back home. I have already gained so much experience and so many skills from those positions. It’s been great!

Kate Malazonia smiles for photo

Ketevan (Kate) Malazonia ’21

“Everyone is very friendly and welcoming.”

Major: Marketing
Home Country: United Kingdom

My favorite place to be on campus. Just outside the bookstore where I can see how green the campus is, and I can also see the students walking around. There is a seating area where I can do my homework, drink some coffee, listen to some music or read a good book.

Things I love to do in Austin. Going to all of the different restaurants — there are so many! I also love to go to Zilker Park, Barton Springs Pool and Barton Creek. Barton Creek has one of my favorite hiking trails. Lastly, I love seeing all the wall murals across the city. South Congress is full of them, and it is one of the most beautiful streets I have ever seen. 

How St. Edward's makes me feel at home. I feel at home because of how friendly everyone is here! The professors and students were all very welcoming and had so many questions to ask me about being from another country. I learn from them, and they learn from me.

What I like most about St. Edward’s. I love that it’s a small school, so I get to meet everyone in my year very quickly. However, Austin is a big city, so there’s a lot to explore outside of campus, too.

One of my favorite activities at St. Edward’s. Definitely one of my favorites is working for the Career and Professional Development office. This office does so much good work when it comes to guiding students in one of the biggest transitions in their life: from high school to the workplace.

Paola Carpio on South Congress Ave.

Paola Carpio ’19

“I’ve had professional networking and research opportunities.”

Major: Economics and Entrepreneurship
Home Country: El Salvador

My favorite place to be on campus. I enjoy the whole campus — it’s so peaceful and pretty. The view of downtown Austin from Main Building is wonderful!

Things I love to do in Austin. St. Edward’s is close enough to downtown that I can walk to South Congress Avenue or run to the Capitol and back. I can go to a new coffee shop or a new restaurant every weekend, and my friends and I love to find new murals and take our pictures in front of them.

One of my proudest accomplishments. During my time on the university tennis team, we were ranked as high as #15 in the nation — the highest rank ever for St. Ed’s. We went to nationals for the first time in 10 years, and I was presented the Division II Women's National Arthur Ashe Leadership and Sportsmanship Award.

What I like most about St. Edward’s. I love the people at St. Ed’s — the professors and staff and my tennis teammates, and everyone I’ve met.

One of my favorite experiences at St. Edward’s. My junior year, a few of us in the Entrepreneurship Club got VIP badges to attend Startup Crawl, a big networking event at Capital Factory during South by Southwest. My senior year I was a Startup Crawl volunteer, which gave me experience for my career in corporate event planning and introduced me to people from all over the world.

Jeremy Bischoff sits at Mount Bonnell overlooking Lake Austin

Jeremy Bischoff ’22

“I love the location, the campus and the diversity.”

Major: Finance
Home Country: Austria

My favorite place to be on campus. I really enjoy getting a coffee from Jo’s coffeeshop and walking over to a spot in front of Main Building to look at the beautiful Austin skyline and the soccer field! So many memories to think about ...

Things I love to do in Austin. Explore new places in this city — going to coffeeshops, trying new food places, hiking the greenbelts, walking down South Congress Avenue, swimming at Barton Springs Pool … and just everything outdoors. 

How St. Edward's makes me feel at home. The friendly people working here make everything so much easier. And the beautiful campus is super nice.

What I like most about St. Edward’s. I love the location, the campus and the diversity of people here.

One of my favorite activities at St. Edward’s. Deutschklub (German Club). I enjoy telling people things about my Austrian culture and helping them with German.

Phydel Nwanze smiles for photo

Phydelia Nwanze ’22

“Austin, Texas, embodies opportunities for everyone.”

Major: Kinesiology and Sociology
Home Country: Nigeria

My favorite place to be on campus. Ragsdale computer lab and the library because of the nice view of campus, especially the trees. 

Things I love to do in Austin. Going downtown, eating at Cabo Bob’s or Kerby Lane, and visiting Barton Springs Pool and Zilker Park for a swim and some time with nature. 

How St. Edward's makes me feel at home. The community makes me feel safe and secure. It’s a place where the students are engaged in ways that benefit the students. For me, it’s the Athletic Department, International Student Services, my sports team and coaches, and the wonderful professors who are always there and ready to help. I am glad I made St. Edward’s my home. 

What I like most about St. Edward’s. The fact that it’s in Austin, Texas. Austin embodies a lot of opportunities for everyone, no matter what you are interested in, and I am blessed to have chosen this school. 

One of my favorite activities at St. Edward’s. The Hilltopper basketball team. It has helped me become more responsible, disciplined, engaged, motivated and a better communicator.