Get Ready for Graduation
We’re proud of you! You’ve worked hard for your college degree and to prepare for a fulfilling future.
As your time on the hilltop comes to a close, make sure you have everything in order to receive your diploma and take part in commencement. Included below is a timeline of required graduation tasks and deadlines to help you stay on track to graduate.
Apply to Graduate
If you anticipate graduating in the next term, it’s important that you complete the graduation application process outlined below.
The application opens with registration for the next term and closes on the official headcount day. If you fail to meet certification deadlines, you’ll be required to apply to graduate during the following term. For deadlines, see the appropriate semester, listed below.
Minimum requirements to apply for graduation include:
- You must be an active student to apply to graduate.
- Graduate students must have a minimum of 21 earned hours and a cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Undergraduate students must have a minimum of 90 earned hours and a cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Adult Continuing Studies students must have a minimum of 100 earned hours and a cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Log in to myHilltop and select Apply to Graduate.
- To determine curriculum for graduation, select the most recent term. This is NOT necessarily the term to which you are applying. The last term of attendance will be the most recent term for students who are not currently enrolled.
- Confirm the curriculum for graduation.
- If the curriculum is incorrect, contact your Success Coach or program advisor to have it corrected. Only then can you move forward with the application process and return to Apply to Graduate.
- If the curriculum is correct, select the “continue” button. If you’re graduating with multiple degrees or majors, you MUST apply for each.
- Select the graduation date for the term you intend to complete your degree. Select “continue.”
- Verify your application summary and submit the request. You’ll receive confirmation that your application was successfully submitted.
Your academic advisor will perform a final degree audit and confirm completion of all degree requirements. If your advisor determines you are ineligible to graduate in this term, you'll be required to go through the application process for a future term.
You’ll receive the Graduation/Diploma Verification form via your university email AFTER you've been certified to graduate. Complete the form to confirm your:
- Name and degree as they will be printed on your diploma
- Diploma release preference
- Intent to participate in the May commencement ceremony (for December and May graduates only)
Reference the Graduation Timeline to see when you’ll receive your diploma. Your name will be printed on the diploma as it appears on your academic record. The Office of the Registrar must receive name changes by the specified deadline or a reprinting fee will be charged. Legal documentation may be required to make changes.
You must meet all financial obligations to the university before your diploma will be released. Return all equipment and books to Instructional Technology and the Munday Library. View holds on your record via myHilltop.
Diploma Release to Third Party
If someone else is picking up your diploma, you must provide a Diploma Release form instructing the Office of the Registrar to release these documents to the person. You must submit this BEFORE the person designated on the form comes in. You may either fax (512-464-8851), email or mail (Office of the Registrar, 3001 S. Congress Ave., Austin, Texas, 78704) the form. Photo ID is required for pick-up.
To avoid any delay in receiving your diploma, you should make arrangements to have your diploma notarized no later than four weeks prior to the diploma release date.
Student Loan Exit Interview
If you receive a Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized or unsubsidized) or a Perkins Loan while attending St. Edward’s, you must complete a debt management session. The session may be completed online. To learn more, contact Student Financial Services.
Graduation with Honors
An undergraduate student must complete 60 hours of credit in residence at St. Edward’s with the appropriate grade point average in order to be eligible for graduation with honors. Credit by examination will not be counted in the 60 hours required for graduation honors. Undergraduate students will receive recognition for the following distinctions:
- Cum Laude: 3.50–3.69 GPA
- Magna Cum Laude: 3.70–3.89 GPA
- Summa Cum Laude: 3.90+ GPA
Honors are announced at commencement and are printed on the official transcript and diploma.
|Task||Dec. 2021 Graduates||May 2022 Graduates||Aug. 2022 Graduates|
|Commencement Participation application opens||N/A||N/A||Nov. 8, 2021|
|Commencement Participation application closes||N/A||N/A||Jan. 26, 2022|
|Application process opens||April 5, 2021||Nov. 8, 2021||Mar. 29, 2022|
|Application process closes||Sept. 8, 2021||Jan. 26, 2022||May 27, 2022|
|Certification deadline||Oct. 4, 2021||Feb. 21, 2022||June 17, 2022|
|All transcripts for courses completed in past terms and official CLEP scores due in the Office of the Registrar||Oct. 1, 2021||Mar. 1, 2022||July 1, 2022|
|Graduation/Diploma Verification forms emailed to students||Nov. 1, 2021||Mar. 21, 2022||July 11, 2022|
|Graduation/Diploma Verification forms due to the Office of the Registrar||Nov. 29, 2021||April 8, 2022||Aug. 12, 2022|
|Official degree date for graduates||Dec. 11, 2021||May 7, 2022*||Aug. 20, 2022|
|Degrees may be posted to transcripts||Dec. 16, 2021||May 11, 2022||Aug. 22, 2022|
|Deadline for all SEU credits and your final semester of transfer credits to be received in the Office of the Registrar||Jan. 14, 2022||May 27, 2022||Sept. 12, 2022|
|Diploma release date||Feb. 9, 2022||June 29, 2022||Oct. 5, 2022|
*Specific information regarding the 2022 Commencement ceremony will be provided in the near future.
Eligibility to Participate in Commencement
Each year, commencement ceremonies are held in May. See below to determine which ceremony you are eligible to participate in.
- December graduates will participate in the ceremony held the following May.
- May graduates are only eligible to participate in the ceremony held that May.
- August graduates may only participate in the ceremony held the preceeding May.
Students graduating in December and May will receive the Graduation/Diploma Verification form via their university email. Complete this to request participation in the upcoming ceremony.
Students graduating in August must submit the Commencement Participation Application for Summer Candidates to participate in the preceeding May ceremony. The application must be approved by the certifying official within your school. NOTE: This is due BEFORE your application to graduate, and is not a substitution for the application to graduate form.